Friday, September 23, 2011

What to Buy and Have On Hand for Fast Heathy Meals

First, I've been working a lot, so I apologize for abandoning my followers. I'll try to do better.

Second, I am often asked, "How can I do this plant based eating program without spending all my time doing it?

I'll tell you.

Figure out what you current time budget is related to food. How much time do you spend at the grocery store, including travel to and from. Add to that the time you spend going to and from restaurants and you now have a baseline of how much time you are willing to spend feeding yourself.

Then, plan the basics. What do you need to have on hand to make it through the week?
I always have:
  • canned organic beans: pinto beans, black beans, great northern beans, butter beans
  • canned organic tomato paste, sauce, and   puree
  • organic brown rice, basmati or other kind
  • onions
  • garlic
  • bell peppers: red, yellow, orange and green  
  • celery
  • greens: lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, collard, the greener the better
  • organic tomatoes - I like Roma, the most flavorful
  • small packages of guacamole ( no dairy added) - I freeze them and use as needed
  • bananas which I freeze peeled and use for smoothies
  • frozen wild blueberries
  • frozen strawberries
  • frozen blackberries
  • Barley Max (R) which I buy from Hallelujah Acres (HA) (If you buy it, use my health minister #FTP) - I like mint and my husband likes the berry flavor
  • Survival bars and living food bars, also from HA
  • fresh beets
  • Ezekiel bread
  • other whole grain, multi-grain bread
With these basics, I can make 3 meals a day, eat around 85% raw and 15% cooked food.

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment