Saturday, December 31, 2011

Cafe 118 - Winter Park, FL

    If you want a reason to travel to Winter Park, FL, just 30 minutes from Sea World in Orlando, I'll give you one: Cafe 118 in Winter Park on East Morse Boulevard.

    This is the third time I have eaten there and I have relished everything ordered.

    Today, I had raw lasagna. Layers of thinly sliced zucchini alternated with macadamia nut "ricotta" cheese, raw tomato sauce and a slice of a tomato. The portion was just enough to fill me up but not overwhelming. The flavors were so savory and rich and delicious.

    Howard had 4 veggie rolls filled with sliced cabbage, avocado and other veggies, each rolled in a collard leaf. Served with a bowl of sweet and sour sauce, you dip the rolls and munch and crunch. It was really enough for 2 people and the flavors were very satisfying.

    Since we were only going to eat 2 meals today, we had dessert: a slice of cheesecake with blueberry glaze on top and pumpkin spice pie with a cream sauce on the side and a nut crust.

    I know it sounds as if I were eating dairy, but all the ingredients were plant based and there was no dairy. There was also no refined sugar, only agave and other natural sugars. It was fake cheese and fake cream and yet the flavors were so rich, that I thought I was eating real cheese and sugar.

    I will be back because there is so much on the menu I haven't tried. Besides the appetizers, main courses and desserts, there is an extensive selection of smoothies made with not milks.

   With healthy food this tasty, I am less tempted to cheat. Sometimes I am tempted, but I resist. My goal is continued health and I don't think any meal or any food is worth risking my health for.













 

No comments:

Post a Comment