Monday, June 13, 2011

Cheap Protein and Calcium

I mean cheap!

If you want to eat good quality protein and calcium, sprout some mung beans. Let me tell you how.

I don't have a kit; I don't have a sprouter. I have a bowl, a napkin, a rubber band and some mung beans. Buy them at a health food store, or anyplace that sells seeds.

They are green and small and when sprouted yield a good quality food.

I take a soup bowl about 12" in diameter. I put about 3 tablespoons of mung beans in the bottom. Then I fill with about 2 inches of water. I put the napkin over the top and anchor it with a rubber band. Then I put it in a cold oven, off.

Caution: Be careful if you use the oven and forget the beans are in there. You will ruin them.

After a day or even 18 hours, I take off the napkin and look at the beans. If they are starting to grow and some white appears, you have a choice. You can rinse them using a strainer, to get the old water off. Then you can put them back in the bowl and cover with water for a day more or less.

Or if they grew real fast, you can rinse and eat them.

That's it.

I put them in my salad and salad dressing. I eat them by themselve and season them with any dressing I like.

That's it.

Cheap protein and calcium. They are good for you and I like the crunchy texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment