Thursday, July 14, 2011

I Don't Wanna!

Some days, you just don't want to exercise. There it is. The ugly secret. 

What should you do? Exercise anyway! What's wanting to do it got to do with it?

That's where we fall down. We let our feelings override what we know we should do. That is the hallmark of discipline, "Doing what we know we should do even when we don't want to do it."

Where is it written that we should exercise? Not only is it written in medical journals, the benefit of exercise on your health, it is written in your body. We all have the desire to move around sometime during the day. That is our body's way of telling us that it needs more oxygen to feed our muscles and our blood. Breathing deeply helps but it needs to be practised over a period od at least 20 minutes for the effect to get deep into the cells of your body.

"I don't wanna" sounds like a four year old complaining when his or her mom says, "Please help me clean up, or please eat your dinner, or it's bedtime." Letting the inner rebellious child in us win this tantrum is bad health,  erodes any chance you have for self-discipline and reinforces bad habits.

I exercised this morning, I didn't want to do it, but I did it. I'll feel better later when I remember that "It's in the bank." But that was another post. Hope you read it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment