Monday, July 11, 2011

What Numbers Control You?


In Virginia, without a treadmill, I go outside and just walk as fast as my legs will go, up and down hills, to and from destinations like Whole foods, or the duck pond or the pine tree lined paths. In Florida, I let the speed of 3.5 or 4.0 control me. If I go 4.0, for example, I say to myself that that is fast enough. I make up a rule and then I stick to it. Yikes!

This morning I just decided to go as fast as I go in Virginia without looking and I discovered I was chugging along at 4.2. I never go that fast, I mistakenly think, because that's too fast!

So instead of going at a speed of 3.8 I sped at 4.2 and burned 150 calories in 20 minutes, breaking out into a healthy sweat. ( I don't like to sweat but I do on my walks in Virginia!)

So I got to thinking, what other numbers control me and control you? Is it what the scale says vs. what you want it to say? You think you can't get to a certain number so you hold yourself back admitting defeat before you give yourself a chance to beat your own expectations of abilities.

What about your bank account? You don't save a dollar a day because you are thinking that $365 dollars saved in a year is not enough so why bother? What if you started saving $1 a day and then upped it to 2? You might want to do that once you got started? Or can't you handle saving $730 that easily?

What about bedtime? You can't go to bed early because the clock doesn't say it's bedtime. If you feel tired at 8  PM, go to bed. Forget about what the numbers are. You might need rest then. What about waking up at 3 AM? You can't get up and write, or pray or read or prepare a meal, or clean up or do laundry because that's not what people do at 3 AM!

Poppycock, balderdash, yikes and phooey! Get rid of the numbers in your life and reinvent new numbers. Discover them along the way. Let me know what happens when you do.









No comments:

Post a Comment