Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sugar is Sugar!

For the last three days I have been feeling sluggish. Now I know why. Sugar!

It was my birthday last Friday and a friend made me a raw apple pie with only fruit and nuts and no white sugar. Naturally, it was delicious and I have eaten almost all of it.

Where is the last piece? In the trash.

On the treadmill this morning I really understood why there should only be a little bit of fruit in our eating program and way more vegetables. The natural sugars in fruit spike the blood and then leave us feeling sluggish. I even have an after taste that has lingered this morning of the sugars in the apples, raisins and agave that were in the raw apple pie.

Fortunately, I discovered the medicinal value of drinking rosemary tea. Yesterday I wrote about the health benefits of drinking tea flavored with fresh rosemary leaves. Then I drank a few cups yesterday and experienced some of the immediate benefits. It acts as a laxative, helping to detox the body from whatever is living in your colon and bowel that doesn't belong there.

So I expect that a few more days of the tea drinking regime should restore my vitality and help me take off the 3 pounds that the raw apple pie gifted me for my birthday.

I don't have a sweet tooth. Occasionally, I like a sweet taste, but not a sugary sweet, sickeningly syrupy flavor. So I will treat myself with other things instead of lots of fruit.

Lesson Learned: Sugar is sugar, even the good sugars. Eat sparingly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment