Saturday, April 23, 2011

Favorite Flavors

If I want my husband to eat the same way I do, it's gonna take some extra work. He likes sweet and I like sour, like the old song, "You say tomato, I say tomato."

Recovering from what may have been pneumonia, he needs to eat lots of raw foods to nourish his body and allow his body to heal itself. So, I made him a salad this way.

He likes raw veggies cut up very small. This is how I prepared them
  • kale
  • lettuce
  • beet greens
  • avocado
  • tomato
  • yellow bell pepper
  • orange pepper
Cut up very small, I must emphasize.

Then I grated about 1/4 cup of a raw beet on top.

For the salad dressing, I'm so pleased with my creative efforts. I made this healthy honey mustard from scratch in a few minutes.

I took a bottle of Dijon mustard that had only 1/4 cup of mustard left in it. I added about 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil, about 1/3 cup of cold water and about 1/8 cup or 1 large tbsp. of raw honey. I put the lid on the container and shook it until all the ingredients were well mixed and drizzled it over the salad. Did I say it was well-minced?

I also served some leftover potato salad. I made it with Yukon gold white potatoes and sweet potatoes. Then I added minced raw celery and green onions. For the dressing I used Vegenaise, with the purple label. That one is made with grapeseed oil.

My husband's portion had added chopped sweet pickles. He loves that. IN fact, today he asked for seconds, something he rarely does. I lealve them off of mine and add sea salt instead.

I toasted a few pieces of Sesame Ezekiel bread and we had that on the side.

If you try this, let me know how you like it. If you customize the flavors in another way, let me know

If you add bacon grease, don't let me know. I don't want you to clog your arteries and if you do, I don't need to know.

Happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment