Thursday, April 21, 2011

Out to Dinner

Last night I attended an interdenominational Passover Seder with many friends and what in the world did I eat?

I ate the most delicious food, all plant based:
  • some of the sunflower seed/almond/sesame seed nut loaf with gravy - for recipe see:www.hacres.com 
  • quinoa with celery, carrots, onion and a dot of olive oil
  • steamed broccoli and cauliflower
  • carrots and spinach casserole
  • steamed carrots and potatoes from the brisket/pot roast that every one else ate
  • matzo with haroset (chopped apples, cinnamon, walnuts and grape juice)
  • parsley
What did everyone else eat? They ate brisket that smelled delicious, roasted chicken, and some roasted lamb with veggies.

How in the world did I keep from eating the meat? Easy. First, did you know that your taste buds change every two weeks? So mine have been changed now for a year and a half and I did not crave the meat. Actually, I just reminded myself that the meat would stay in my bowel for days, if not weeks, putrifying and rotting before elimination potentially causing havoc in my colon. (Think precancerous colon cells.)

What did I have for dessert? Nothing. I filled up on veggies and reminded myself that I had delicious berries, vanilla coconut yogurt and mint chip coconut ice cream at home waiting for me, if I was still hungry.

Instead, I had hot tea with the mint leaves from my garden that I brought to the dinner. Sweetened with Stevia, it was delicious.

I sipped it as I walked by people with bowls heaped high with ice cream and angel food cake.

Am I a saint? No. I just know who I am, someone who wants to remain healthy. I know "there is pleasure in eating harmful foods for a season." I have had those seasons and they exist for me NO MORE.

This morning, my pants still fit, I have no sickening feeling in my bowel of meat just sitting there, and no chemical aftertaste of processed sugar in my mouth. (Did you know that a plant based diet even sweetens your breath?)

Go out to dinner and be good to yourself. Don't swallow the bill of goods that others will try to persuade you with, like "It's only one meal. You know you really want to eat that." Say to yourself instead, "I know that I want to stay healthy. I 'm doing the right thing. If 50,000 people do a stupid thing, it's still a stupid thing."

Send my your testimonies. 

1 comment: